Tuesday 10 February 2015

Life's Loves: January Favourites

Last year I documented my favourite items every month in my creatively named 'Monthly Favourites' series - a concept which is seen on hundreds of blogs and YouTube channels.

I loved the idea of keeping track of my favourite products - I'm not much of a beauty blogger, but I love to shout about the things I do find that are great quality - be they cosmetics, food or books!

I want to continue doing this but, for 2015, I fancied a bit of a face lift. I'd like to broaden my views each month and take a look at everything that has captured my heart for the previous thirty days; products, yes, but also music, films, other people's blog posts and ideas which have made me think a little harder.

So without further ado, here's everything that has captured my heart during the first month of 2015.






Beauty




Le Couvent des Minimes - Cologne of the Morning


Just before Christmas I was lucky enough to win a selection of beauty products from Le Couvent des Minimes on the lovely Zoe Newlove's blog. My prize arrived mere days before Christmas with a gorgeous stocking and, my, the contents were superb. I'm hoping to do another post detailing the products in more detail, but I have fallen in love with this natural company. My favourite for the last month has to be the Cologne of the Morning, which is gorgeously fresh and the perfect spring-time scent. Keep your eyes out for another post on this brand soon.




Rimmel London - Kate Matte Lipstick 107


Ah, a cult blogger beauty classic. This little beauty is literally on everyone's lips. I've been wearing this lipstick a lot this winter - the perfect deep wine shade, flattering and very long lasting. I'll probably still be wearing it throughout spring when lighter shades should be adopted.





Maybelline Lash Sensational Lash Multiplying Mascara

I choose my mascara very wisely, and when I saw this recommended by many bloggers and friends on Instagram and Twitter I knew I had to try it out - especially since it was on offer when I hunted it down! It works like a dream, makes my lashes look longer and separates them wonderfully. I also love the packaging - one of the main turn-offs for me is garish, bright or tacky packaging.




Weleda - Skin Food & Almond Soothing Facial Oil

These two have been saving my skin throughout the winter and really are utterly fantastic - and completely natural! I plan to write a full post on these gems later this month but for now I'll just say that my skin has never felt so good - Weleda are well and truly on the radar for me now.



Jewellery:



Beadin' Nora Rose Gold Necklace - Notonthehighstreet.com

This gorgeous necklace was a present from my parents at Christmas - it's so delicate and understated and I get so many compliments when I wear it. I do really think I need to check out Notonthehighstreet.com more! Rose gold is just beautiful too.



Books:


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

After receiving this book from my (not-so) Secret Santa at work, I was excited to finally see what all the fuss was about! It took me a few weeks to finish, but this book made me want to go to bed early just so that I could read some more. Watch out for a spoiler-free book review coming soon!



TV:


Hannibal

Ok, this is a bit cheeky - this is my housemate's new DVD set, and I've only been watching them with her - but it's an absolutely brilliant TV show. It's the perfect combination of crime, mild horror and  thriller, with an excellent cast. It's gory at times, but this is made bearable through the pure imagination and intricacy of the stories - I find it fascinating that people come up with ideas like these! I'm looking forward to finishing the first series and recommend it to any box-set junkies out there.




Food & Drink:



I loved my lunch date at Ebb & Flow, a new restaurant / bar in Southampton's city centre a few weeks ago. I am already planning my next visit to test their cocktails.





The Corner House cafe in Winchester is a little gem tucked away from the main high street, and was recommended to me by a close friend. I went last week and it's already one of my favourite eateries in the city. It's cosy, with delicious food, an impressive cake selection and a lovely atmosphere. I can't wait to go back - and as usual, you can read my review!





Chococo Cherry and Amaretti Clusters


Chococo is a local chocolate company - which makes this even better as I love finding smaller, local and fresh companies to support! I always try and pick up a couple of gifts for others when I visit their Winchester store, but this time I bought a little something for myself. These are little bites of heaven -  the flavours combine perfectly. Because they use 67% dark chocolate, they relieve my chocolate craving but mean I don't need to eat the whole packet to feel satisfied! A true treat - I can't wait to try more of their products.



Recipes:



You may have already seen my recipe post this month inspired by the Happy Egg Co.'s January Tastemaker's challenge. I can't wait to whip up this tasty breakfast treat again!






 I recently made this recipe from the Waitrose website and couldn't believe how easy, simple and tasty it was! It's very healthy too. I can't recommend it enough! Fortunately I made enough for my freezer, but I shall definitely be making this again.



Online:


One of my favourite bloggers, Katy's weekly posts are a true pick-me-up on the most hated day of the week. I love catching up on what she's been up to, but also getting inspired - it's important to stay positive and focus on the good things life throws at you, regardless how day your bad is.


In the month where our news feeds and offices are full of talk of resolutions, I loved Erica's honest, refreshing and thoughtful post. When so many of us pledge to be healthy (guilty as charged!) it's important to set more realistic - and often, more valuable - goals. The resolutions she's made mean much more than stopping at one glass of white on a Friday because 'myfitnesspal will go nuts'. There's more to life than calorie counting and smoothie-making.



What have you loved this month? Share your thoughts in the comments - or leave links to new things I might enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Naw. Thank you lovely one!! <3

    I still haven't tried those scrambled eggs. Think they might have to be my weekend treat! :D xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh thank you for sharing my nonsense Jo! and, great feedback on Gone Girl - I've been sat on the fence about reading it for too long. started to watch it before my internet dissolved the other night, so I suppose I should *just read it* haha! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lush is the packaging of the cologne!? I think I'd have to keep it once the scent's all used up! I'm impressed you could stick with Hannibal, I thought it was awesome but SO gory I just couldn't watch it! Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete