Tuesday 20 January 2015

Running 10km: the beginning

Taking part in an organised run has always been something I'd love to achieve. I've always admired those hardy folks who take part in the London Marathon, pounding the city's streets for miles and miles, smiling and waving, exhausted but elated. It's an experience of a lifetime, I am sure (if you ignore the chafing and blisters).

I am in no way even near enough considering the London Marathon. However, as I briefly mentioned in my 2015 resolutions post, last summer I found out that a Half Marathon and 10km race were being hosted locally, and thought it was the perfect opportunity to actually do something about my desire (or lack thereof) to run. So, I signed up for the ABP Southampton 10km race.

A few months later and I have started to integrate frequent runs into my lifestyle and am slowly but surely making progress bit by bit. I never really enjoyed running before, but the more I go out the better I feel afterwards. Not only do I feel positive for training for something significant, but boy, is it a great stress buster!




I technically started training back in October, but managed a miserable five runs between then and Christmas - I blame the poor weather and busy time of year (birthdays and Christmas events completely took over my time). Obviously the break has pushed me back a little, but I have been running regularly for three weeks now and it's starting to become nicely integrated into my daily life.

I'm by no means an expert - I end up huffing and puffing and my face turns beetroot red, but its an enjoyable challenge, and one I'm determined to complete!

In order to train myself properly and to build my stamina, I've decided to train using the NHS Couch to 5km podcast programme. This encourages interval training - so running and walking for set times on repeat, focused on stamina rather than speed, building up week by week.

I've just started the Week 3 exercise (I told you I was behind!) and am absolutely loving it so far - it's been so easy to use for a novice like myself. The podcast contains everything you need to keep you going - music as you run and walk, and tips along the way. You're also given encouragement, and told when to stop and start running, so you don't have to keep checking your watch and timing yourself. I'll be using their 5km+ programme once I'm good enough!





Half of the problem with motivation is the worry of not knowing what you're doing - for me it is anyway, but the podcast and my tracking app (I use the Nike+ app to track my routes and progress) make sure all I have to do is get out of bed and out of the door two or three times a week.

I'm also looking forward to better weather and lighter evenings, as the winter can be so un-motivational, and often the last thing I want to do is head to the gym straight after work to pound the treadmill for forty minutes...

Motivation is also coming from the donations which are starting to come through - I've decided to run for charity, and I've picked Mind - the mental health charity. Mental health is a topic close to my heart. Did you know 1 in 4 people experience mental health issues in the UK? Chances are, you know somebody dealing with anxiety, depression, eating disorders, PTSD or other issues. I want to support Mind in all the fabulous work they do dispelling myths and stigmas about Mental Health problems, and providing care and help for those who need it.

I'd like to document my running progress on my blog, so hopefully I'll be keeping you up-to-date with my training and how I am finding it as a novice! I'm considering monthly updates until the big day at the end of April, so I will hopefully keep this up.

If you're interested in donating, you can visit my personal fundraising page, and even if you're not, please do take the time to find out more about the work Mind do.

If you've ever taken part in a 10km or Half Marathon run before and have any tips, please leave them in the comments below - I'd love to hear them!

Wish me luck!




14 comments:

  1. Oh best of luck. I decided to do the couch to 5k programme a few years ago and found it wonderful, I think I abandoned it around week 6 or something (when the longer runs kick in) as I needed more of a distraction from the running and needed my own music so switched to Endomondo, my tunes and a watch. The following year I decided to step it up to 10k. Up until the day of the race I think the furthest I'd run was about 8k but the best thing about a race is that it carries you along and you go further than you normally would. Best of luck with it all. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My friend also said they stopped using it after week 6 so I might see how I go - I quite like having someone there to tell me what to do. I'm also very glad to hear that I won't need to run 10km in full before race day! Thank you so much for your advice and I'll be posting another update soon x

      Delete
  2. Wow well done you :) I've been going to the gym regularly for a few years but always a little half heartedly. Id run for a bit then get bored with it and walk up an incline instead. After Christmas I was determined to do better and made myself carry on running for longer. I managed my first 5k and the feeling was amazing, I was so happy and proud of myself. I've repeated the 5k every trip to the gym since and it's a great feeling.

    10k would be an incredible achievement! Best of luck!

    Chloe x
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find that I run better outside - the treadmill is slightly different, but it's good for dark and rainy evenings! Well done with all your 5kms, putting me to shame! Keep it up x

      Delete
  3. Go Jo Go! I'd like to start running outdoors again but Chingford is just full of massive hills that are very off putting. For now I'm sticking to the treadmill. Mind sounds like a very worthy cause!

    www.racheltrieslife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Hills sound less than ideal so the treadmill is probably your best bet ;) x

      Delete
  4. You can do this and you will feel good for yourself and your worthy cause. We're behind you every step of the way.... well, not literally you understand...! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It means a lot to have your support :) Maybe one day you can come out for a run with me...;) x

      Delete
  5. Wow! Best of luck lovely! I'm so interested to see how you get on and how you get on with your training. 10k would be a wonderful achievement. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much : ) I'm really worried I won't be able to do it but hopefully I'll try my best! I'll be posting another update soon :) x

      Delete
  6. As soon as the evenings lighten up I'll be on the C25K program! x

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recommend it enough! Let me know how you find it x

      Delete
  7. I did a 10k a few years ago and wish I had kept the fitness, Ill need to start from scratch to do it again. I used the NHS couch to 10k programme (if you are in the UK) which as podcasts to get you going and tells you when to run / walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it's easy to lose it so I am determined to keep it up. I'm using the NHS programme and am finding it so helpful x

      Delete