Saturday 15 February 2014

Rediscovering Lush Cosmetics: Rub Rub Rub

For as long as I can remember, I've been a huge fan of Lush. As soon as I had a little of my own money I was seduced by the scented shops on my highstreet, lured in with the promise of indulgent, fun and 'good-for-you' products. I regularly bought bath bombs, and spent every single Sunday night lying in brightly-coloured bathwater surrounded by heart-shaped confetti / gold glitter / melting shea butter. Perfect.

Unfortunately, my student life took over, my bank balance dwindled, and I rarely ventured in. It wasn't just that Lush was too expensive for my budget - I just spent less on body-care in general, indulging in a new foundation / mascara only when I absolutely had to, and purchasing shampoo and body wash only when I ran out. Treats for my bathroom took a back seat, and so my visits to Lush became rare.

Since emerging from the cocoon of student life as an educated butterfly (of sorts...) I am aiming to treat myself to one or two items each month to build up a collection. Last weekend, spurred on by a recent YouTube video from Megs at Wonderful You, I went into Lush to buy my first little treat.

I cannot tell you how excited I was!

As well as looking at face masks (to be discussed in a later post) body wash and cleanser, I found myself perusing the body scrubs. I am a huge fan of Soap and Glory, and was thinking of buying one of their infamous body scrubs to add to my collection. However, as a product I would use regularly, I wondered if this would be the best place to start my new Lush collection.

After a bit of a chat with a lovely Lush lady, I looked at some of the products they had to offer, before opting for Rub Rub Rub Shower Scrub. There's no missing this product! Inside the iconic black tub sits a bright blue concoction of sea salt, lemon, jasmine, orange and mimosa, throwing off delicious scents which seduce the senses. The bright colour instantly caught my eye and, after testing it out on my skin in-store, I was sold.




So what do I make of it?

Rub Rub Rub worked its magic on my skin after just one use. It's soft and not too coarse, despite the inclusion of sea salt, but I felt it working as I used it. It also smells really good. At first I was dubious that I wouldn't like the floral scents, as I'm more of a fruity, sweet kind of girl. However, after using it I love the way that they compliment the citrus notes; this product will both wake me up when used in the morning, and soothe me in the evenings. It reminds me a little of one of my favourite perfumes, Paul Smith's Floral

In comparison to other body scrubs I've bought, I really prefer this by far. I can tell it's natural; the salt used in the product does a far better job than the soft flakes some companies use. I like my scrubs to really scrub away, and this really does the trick. 





For a coarser effect, Rub Rub Rub can be used on dry skin first, ideal if you're looking for something really strong and effective. I think I'll be using it like this more in the summer, when my skin is on show a little more. Even though it is harsher like this, it still doesn't feel uncomfortable, and was easy to massage into my skin thanks to the lemon oil.





Once I washed the salt off, my skin felt so soft even without moisturising. There is no risk of your body being left raw and sensitive after this treatment - I felt smooth, soft and well-oiled. I thought this was fantastic, especially if you don't have time to moisturise after a morning shower. You can really tell that it's taking care of your skin.

I was advised not to use this product more than once or twice a week. This tub should last me about three or four weeks apparently, depending on how much I used each time and how regularly I showered with it. I think this is normal for body scrubs, and a little scoop of it goes a long way which is great!

I now see myself as a total Rub Rub Rub convert. I doubt I'll be using many other scrubs in the future, if only out of curiosity or if any brands have offers on. Using natural products really makes a difference and this product really feels indulgent, despite being not much more expensive than other leading body-care brands. 

I can't wait to build up more of a collection from Lush - I have a feeling this will not be alone on my shower shelf for long! I'm now on the look-out for a body moisturiser to apply after using this scrub.

Do you like using Lush products? What brand do you count on for your body scrub needs?



Jo
xxx
 

5 comments:

  1. Megs also inspired me go on a little trip to LUSH (not that I need it, I venture in there about once a week...) and I absolutely love everything they have in there.
    Rub Rub Rub was the first thing I bought from LUSH about 2 years ago and I've loved it ever since. I always repurchase it and think it has the right amount of scrubbiness :)
    Love this review!
    danielascribbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw her video I just had to go shopping in Lush! I'm so easily influenced haha. I'm glad I've found another Rub Rub Rub fan - it's such a good product, isn't it? I think it's going to be a firm favourite from now on.

      Thanks for sharing your link!

      Jo xxx

      Delete
  2. Loving the colour of it! I do love Lush but I always find that when I go in store and open up a product to have a good whiff I can't really make out the scent cos the shop's smell is too over powering!

    At the moment I have the Rose Jelly shower gel on the go which is just GORGEOUS and my Angel Delight soap which I always have to stock up on at Christmas time. I do want to try some more products though so might look out for Rub Rub Rub x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so eye-catching! I know what you mean, you really have to focus on the scent, but I always go in with the mindset that whatever I buy will smell lovely!

      I'm not sure how I get on with the shower jellies, but I've heard good things about the Angel Delight soap! My problem is that their limited edition products are never round for long enough. I wanted to buy Prince Charming but it's already vanished! I do really recommend Rub Rub Rub :)

      Jo xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm a new blogger.. so i enjoyed reading your post :) I love this scrub. May do my own review :)

    ReplyDelete