Thursday 14 November 2013

Lou Lou's Vintage Fair, Southampton

Don't you just love it when you stumble across something unexpected, but it turns out to be exactly the sort of thing you wanted, even though you didn't know it?

That's what happened to me on Saturday 2nd November. I was walking into town on my way to buy my sister's birthday present, when I happened to see a sign advertising a Vintage Fair at the Guildhall, opening in just five minutes. I couldn't believe my luck - for years I was unable to attend these vintage fairs thanks to deadlines, meetings or even trips home. Here I was, however, with time on my hands, £2 in my pocket, and an opportunity staring me right in the face. Needless to say, I just couldn't resist!


Upon entry I was struck with fifties music and stalls bursting with old-time goodies. Beautiful ladies with pinned hair were conducting make-overs and tutorials; men in bow-ties were exchanging money for vintage jackets and ties; and ladies in floral dresses were selling some of the most beautiful cupcakes I'd ever seen.


I wandered around the room a number of times, making sure I'd seen everything. There were stalls with faux fur stoles, leather jackets and some Christmas jumpers which, I admit, were calling to me! There were monopoly-themed coasters, petticoats, and silk scarves galore. There was the most delicate stall full of quirky handmade necklaces featuring the mechanics of watches and tiny cameos, and trinkets and treasures from days gone by. I was spoiled for choice and I wanted to get my sister the perfect present - I had a feeling I'd find something there.


Partway through my visit some ladies entered the stage to perform some vintage dances; I'll be honest, I can't remember the group's name, but they really seemed to love performing and the customers enjoyed seeing something different too - I even recognised a dance or two from Hairspray! It was a lovely touch.

Apologies for the low quality photo - I need to upgrade from my iPhone camera!
I wasn't the only one there documenting my visit; I spied a number of other bloggers doing their thing, taking arty photos with digital DSLRs. I'm not quite up to that standard yet, and am on a tight budget - so I felt a little awkward with my little iPhone!

Finally, I decided on something for my sister - I found a great bargain in the shape of a vintage Levis flannel shirt for just £15 from Vulgar, part of the ASOS Marketplace (you can find Vulgar online HERE) - It was perfect from the moment I saw it and I couldn't wait to wrap it up and give it to her. She absolutely loved it (to my relief!) - I just wish I'd had some extra cash to spend on myself!
My sister's perfect present!
After gazing longingly at the cupcakes, then thinking of my waistline, I left the Guildhall. I'm so glad I stumbled across the fair, and it was fun to do something different with my morning, and the perfect place to find a unique present. I'll certainly be looking out for the next one!

Did you happen to go to Lou Lou's Vintage Fair on the 2nd November? Leave your blog posts in the comment section, I'd love to see them!

Jo
xxx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment